Author Topic: Anti Theft or short  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Bob-Lob-Law

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
Anti Theft or short
« on: February 18 2014, 07:11:46 PM »
Hello, been a while since I have posted.  I have gotten my new engine going and all is running very nice.  I have been doing the break-in process and hope to be finished within the next week.  I thought I would share a problem that I have but I'm thinking that it isn't a real problem.

It has been very cold this winter her in Virginia and I have been only able to take the car out on Sundays and only for about 15 minutes or so.  By the time Saturday rolls around, the battery is stone cold dead.  No lights, nothing.  I spend the next day charging it up enough to get a start and then run it again for about 15 minutes or so.  I was thinking that there was a short, but I have realized that this car has the Anti Theft device in it.  It's an 84 T Type with the 87 power plant. 

My question is:  Is it the Anti Theft that is draining the battery or is there also a short that I need to look for? 

Thanks to all.  Keep rockin..   :rock:

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Anti Theft or short
« Reply #1 on: February 18 2014, 09:59:32 PM »
antitheft should take a long time to drain it...

Assuming you do not have a clamp-on ammeter, so disconnect the battery cable, insert a headlight bulb in between so the battery cable connects to one light terminal and the other terminal is connected to the battery post.  If the bulb burns, then it sounds like you have a short.

If it does not, charge the battery and leave it disconnected for a week and then reconnect it and see if it still has a good charge on it
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Bob-Lob-Law

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Anti Theft or short
« Reply #2 on: February 19 2014, 06:34:32 PM »
Roger that, Steve.  I'll get back to you in a few days.  Thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal