Author Topic: Toughboo  (Read 2741 times)

Online daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Toughboo
« on: October 16 2019, 07:56:35 PM »
Toughboo Hades

Was gifted a toughbook.
Appears it was former corporate machine and had receive a very complete wipe.
A Toughbook made in that  transition era- sold with XP yet internally has SATA drives.
Spent a day ( more really) finding hints online and slipstreaming (no floppy)various SATA drivers into XP install CD. Still nothing but BSODS.

Something-buntu of course install flawlessly, so no apparent hardware issues.

Try my weiner7 disk - sorry I only see 32 bit hardware.
Get a 32 bit OS disk - nope can't recognize your weird (from above buntu ) formatting.

Could I get any of the USB formatting utils to work? -Nahhh.

Pull out the drive and disassemble to access SATA, stuff
into a desktop and reformat.

Finally Weiner7 installs, performanceind ex=2.
Well, closer to 4 with Aero turned off.

Expect this will be good enough for Powerlogger, but that can wait for tomorrow...
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Toughboo
« Reply #1 on: October 16 2019, 08:06:55 PM »
I got an IBM Thinkpad refurbed when PL first came out for under a hundred bucks from a place in Markham. Had a buddy throw XP on it and used it exclusively for PL with the GN. Still working flawlessly. Dave...you sound like Bob Bailey. I'm teaching Keep It Simple Stupid classes as a retirement gig. I'm signing you up.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16 2019, 08:14:23 PM »
Fukn PL...what a mess it was on release. I thot I'd throw the disc in...follow the prompts...and that was it. I get to the track...and spend most of the evening talking to Norbs over the phone. Had to rename files...and a whole bunch of other shit to make it work. And then it didn't fit on the fukn screen. Not a good nite...
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18 2019, 09:40:52 PM »
Quote from: Scoobum
I got an IBM Thinkpad refurbed when PL first came out for under a hundred bucks from a place in Markham. Had a buddy throw XP on it and used it exclusively for PL with the GN. Still working flawlessly. Dave...you sound like Bob Bailey. I'm teaching Keep It Simple Stupid classes as a retirement gig. I'm signing you up.
 Brad I did the exact same thing plus an extra battery. It's always plugged in under my desk in the office but never got it out this season. 
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23 2019, 03:07:54 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T440s-14-WIN-10-160gb-SSD-8gb-Core-i5-WEBCAM-BLUETOOTH-AUT-1186/352830836597?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40719%26meid%3D0e18d863918748c28410e499ce079210%26pid%3D100752%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D274064136812%26itm%3D352830836597%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

I've been bidding on these but haven't scored one yet. not the fastest or newest but has ssd hd , touchscreen, and bluetooth. Should run the powerlagger and the hptuners. and if i get sucked into a gnecu the tuner studio should run on it. I've had to lower my bid as the state started collecting sale tax on ebay purchases oct 1. I figure everyone who wants one will have theirs eventually and Ill be able to buy one.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Online daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23 2019, 07:01:27 PM »
Hmm, does every copy of win 8 have the right to upgrade to win10, sorta what he is implying

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23 2019, 07:35:22 PM »
Pretty much - Microsoft stopped the free upgrades, but if you have windows 7 or 8 professional you can use the enterprise tools to upgrade or do a clean install. Obviously you need a legit license. A google search will get you step by step instructions.
IhaveaV8

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23 2019, 07:45:41 PM »
https://www.howtogeek.com/442609/confirmed-windows-10-setup-now-prevents-local-account-creation/ - I cant believe how hard they are pushing you into using an online Microsoft account vs a local account. They are pushing users to online services and when everyone can’t get by without it they’ll start adding fees to those services. 
IhaveaV8

Online daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23 2019, 08:23:12 PM »
I wonder if the guy registered those lappys with the win8 serial in the bios or just did some ghost or corporate setup.
Thanks for the win10 info , I have a machine that i got at christmas and haven't unpacked  yet.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal