Author Topic: issue with vibration at 60 mph  (Read 11655 times)

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: issue with vibration at 60 mph
« Reply #30 on: August 02 2018, 06:15:21 PM »
I think the words 'checked' and 'looked at' are being used incorrectly in this instance.

A visual inspection is right at 0% effective in diagnosing, troubleshootin g, assessing, and repairing this condition.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03 2018, 05:41:05 PM »
So has the driveshaft been removed and re-balanced?
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline rhturbo

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10 2018, 09:15:47 AM »
Drive shaft has not been rebalanced. I hope to get it in for a better inspection of the front end in another week or so.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #33 on: August 10 2018, 12:03:37 PM »
What you really need to do is to look at the car yourself following some of the help that has been provided here, OR, find a car guy that will help you do the looking.  Beyond what I recall being posted, it could also be a wobbling damper, loose torque converter, or even a loose flex plate.  A bad tire, or a driveshaft problem is probably the most prevalent source of vibration, but, not the only one.

Most shops are pretty clueless on these cars so I can only see your future ownership experience being bad with a turbo Regal if you are not willing to learn for yourself.

These cars can drive you crazy even tho they are relatively simple compared to newer stuff.  It gets very expensive to allow shops with a lack of experience try to sort these cars out.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline rhturbo

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16 2018, 04:57:50 PM »
yes I am finding it is getting quite expensive trying to track done this issue and yes its hard to find anyone who knows these cars.  Its pretty tough to do much under the car without a hoist. I know most people make due with a jack and jack stands. I think we can rule out the wheels being the issue as I had them "road force" balanced today and still same problem. It only cost $30 so figured it was worth a shot. I have someone who is going to help me look at all the other things everyone has suggested but he wont be available until beginning of sept.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16 2018, 07:57:15 PM »
This is going to sound harsher than it really is, but from what I've read, you might want to get used to the idea of selling the car before it totally pisses you off.

Right now you've got a repair that should be pretty cheap to fix.  And this issue doesn't snowball like an engine, fueling, or tune problem.  I can't imagine how bad it'll be when one of those problems shows up.

Over the last couple decades, I've seen quite a few people buy this cars, throw money at problems without doing the free checks first, throw more money at it...    then throw more money at it  (often times the car's worse at this point).  Before it's over, the owner is thoroughly pissed off and dumps the car at a much larger loss than needed.    And keep in mind when I was seeing this a decade ago the cars were 'only' 20+ years old.

'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline rhturbo

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20 2018, 03:07:03 PM »
This is going to sound harsher than it really is, but from what I've read, you might want to get used to the idea of selling the car before it totally pisses you off.

Right now you've got a repair that should be pretty cheap to fix.  And this issue doesn't snowball like an engine, fueling, or tune problem.  I can't imagine how bad it'll be when one of those problems shows up.

Over the last couple decades, I've seen quite a few people buy this cars, throw money at problems without doing the free checks first, throw more money at it...    then throw more money at it  (often times the car's worse at this point).  Before it's over, the owner is thoroughly pissed off and dumps the car at a much larger loss than needed.    And keep in mind when I was seeing this a decade ago the cars were 'only' 20+ years old.

It has crossed my mind. I agree I am starting to get annoyed and quite frustrated. Two different garages with "licenced" mechanics and they cant figure out a vibration in the steering wheel  ? Having said that I don't believe this problem has anything to do with the fact this is a Grand National in which case having specific experience with this type of car is not likely to make it easier to diagnose. Either both mechanics who looked at it aren't very good (which is possible) or this problem is tougher to diagnose than most for some reason. This will get resolved eventually and when it does I will be sure to report back on the findings.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20 2018, 04:09:50 PM »
You have to understand, nothing these"licensed" people work on is in the same realm as an eighties rwd gbody. Most probably weren't even born when the car was built. You really have to give up the idea that you cac take it somewhere and get it fixed. There just aren't mechanics out there to do it any more. Or if you can find one pay him well. As those are few and far between.

Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20 2018, 07:09:05 PM »

It has crossed my mind. I agree I am starting to get annoyed and quite frustrated. Two different garages with "licenced" mechanics and they cant figure out a vibration in the steering wheel  ? Having said that I don't believe this problem has anything to do with the fact this is a Grand National in which case having specific experience with this type of car is not likely to make it easier to diagnose. Either both mechanics who looked at it aren't very good (which is possible) or this problem is tougher to diagnose than most for some reason. This will get resolved eventually and when it does I will be sure to report back on the findings.

That's the thing. Mechanics don't work that like.  They go by flat rate, that's how they get paid.   If it takes them three times as long to fix something than the flat rate table indicates, they take a beating.   And you can't charge a customer 'clock hours' for head scratching.

This repair doesn't have a flat rate at all.  So basically, if you're lucky, they'll start off doing a flat rate job, like ''Replace all wheel bearings and seals'', or ''turn rotors/adjust bearings'', or ''replace tie rod ends''....   then charge you 'fairly' for the work.

...the downside is that the problem might not get fixed...   then you get to pay for more jobs that may or may not fix it until it's fixed, or you get fed up and take the car home with an empty wallet.

This is the kind of job that you need to do yourself.   If you replace the wheelbearings and turn the rotors for example, you now know for a fact you have new bearings and fresh rotors.   It might not fix the problem, but two years from now you'll know you have fresh bearings and rotors.

If you start tackling stuff yourself, eventually you'll solve the problem and have a list of stuff checked off your 30+ year old car.

If you go broke paying mechanics to play with your car (and using cheaper components and charging you more for them than quality parts), it's just not the same.

All that labor money could be put towards new universals, new bushings, new tie rod ends, new idler arm.....

......lay under the front of your car, grab ahold of the idler arm and yank it back and forth.   It can't be that easy.   Also, check your steering box for lots of slack.

Offline rhturbo

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06 2018, 12:32:33 PM »
Well it looks like my problem is a damaged (out of round) rim on rear of car. My rear rims are 15x8 and fronts are 15x7.  I guess I need to find a 15x8 somewhere or two 15x7's

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06 2018, 01:55:47 PM »
I had a feeling it was going to be something stupid that could have been diagnosed in seconds.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06 2018, 03:33:58 PM »
You would think that when you got the tires they might have mentioned the rim damage. So much for competent help at that place.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline rhturbo

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06 2018, 06:15:13 PM »
Anyone know anything about the quality of these rims ? Seller says exact replica of the originals. I am worried bot buying one and it doesn't match.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/15-Inch-15x8-Alloy-Wheel-Rim-for-1981-1987-Buick-Regal-Grand-National/183159403349?hash=item2aa526b355:g:OUMAAOSwfaBawo Xf

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #43 on: September 06 2018, 08:02:28 PM »
Remember that I suggested to lift the rear end off the ground and crank it up, put it in gear and run the speed up to the vibration range to see if the shake was in the rear end?

Now, I can understand that you might not own jack stands, but, I cannot understand how any competent balancing would not have shown the out of round, wobble, or whatever.

My best advice is to never set foot in any of those shops that could not find the problem as they are fundamentally incompetent.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06 2018, 09:24:01 PM »
Anyone know anything about the quality of these rims ? Seller says exact replica of the originals. I am worried bot buying one and it doesn't match.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/15-Inch-15x8-Alloy-Wheel-Rim-for-1981-1987-Buick-Regal-Grand-National/183159403349?hash=item2aa526b355:g:OUMAAOSwfaBawo Xf

Those are 15x8 , stock is 15x7.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal