Author Topic: Mild Hybrids  (Read 2109 times)

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Mild Hybrids
« on: July 19 2017, 09:08:39 AM »
Mild hybrids are a mini-trend within today’s auto industry. The new versions use a toned-down form of electrificatio n – a 48V electrical architecture, instead of the 300V, 400V and even 600V used in their full-hybrid brethren. Coupled with a relatively small lithium-ion battery (roughly half a kilowatt-hour), the mild hybrids can do enhanced start-stop, along with regenerative braking. They can turn off the internal combustion engine before coming to a complete stop, re-launch the vehicle on electricity, and fire the engine back up after it’s already in motion. Or they can “sail” – that is, shut down the engine at highway speeds and coast for a short time on electricity.
Moreover, 48V electrical architectures offer a big benefit for engineers who are trying to add power-hungry new features, such as heated seats, heated windshields, electric power steering, and infotainment systems. Unlike today’s 12V systems, which offer about 2-3 kW of power, a 48V system can produce 10-12 kW.
For all those reasons, many automakers are looking at some form of mild hybridization. Volvo, Audi, PSA Group and Mercedes-Benz have all announced plans to implement 48V architectures.

Design News
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
Re: Mild Hybrids
« Reply #1 on: July 19 2017, 11:31:21 AM »
Why not look at the 24 volt systems already in place on aircraft. De-ice capabilities as well as Tv's in every headrest.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20 2017, 09:35:15 AM »
While I get the idea to use the energy expended while stopping and the start and stop of the fossil fuel engine, if you are charging from a station that is supplied by a power plant a don't see where that reduced emissions. I can see it I guess if it is from solar or wind, but a fossil fuel burning power plant puts out "harmful" emissions just like a vehicle. Then you have the expense of battery disposal/recycle and a possible shocking experience in the event of collision. And "get off my lawn".
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20 2017, 09:57:22 AM »
I am now blessed with 2 vehicles with stop-start. That gets shut off very frequently.
No way I'm commencing a left turn at a busy intersection with the engine shut down.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21 2017, 09:48:41 AM »
While I get the idea to use the energy expended while stopping and the start and stop of the fossil fuel engine, if you are charging from a station that is supplied by a power plant a don't see where that reduced emissions. I can see it I guess if it is from solar or wind, but a fossil fuel burning power plant puts out "harmful" emissions just like a vehicle. Then you have the expense of battery disposal/recycle and a possible shocking experience in the event of collision. And "get off my lawn".

It is falsehood.  Not to mention the additional resources required to produce EVs and Hybrids.  People behave like it is some sort of free lunch.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal