Author Topic: 6x9 rear speakers  (Read 7160 times)

Offline xpander343

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
6x9 rear speakers
« on: February 07 2017, 09:18:23 PM »

Hey guys.  I'm looking to install a set of 6x9 speakers I bought years ago for the buick.  They seem to be bigger than the last set I bought and won't fit with the adapters and the rear truck rods.  I'm thinking if I cut a a horizontal slot on the front side of the rear deck where the seats go they should bolt flush to the rear deck.  Is this how other people are doing it without using the adapters?  Tried looking for pics of other setups but not much luck.

87 Regal Limited

Offline Forzfed

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: 6x9 rear speakers
« Reply #1 on: February 07 2017, 10:37:31 PM »
On my 85 T-Type I carved out the portion going into the back seat and just installed it that way.  On my 87, I didn't want to cut up the rear deck so I used the adapter plates.  The trunk rods have to go, I think.  Just remembered I have had the same stereo installed in my 78 Sports Coupe, 85 T-Type and 87 Turbo-T.

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07 2017, 11:25:41 PM »
If you're not scared to cut sheetmetal that's the best way to do it.   Just make sure you choose speakers that have fairly flush tweeters so they don't interfere with the deck cover.

It's a pretty easy install, just make the cuts, use the trunk rods to hold the speakers in place then use sheetrock screws to mount the speakers from the bottom.   Since they're hardened, just grab 'em with pliers and snap them off flush with the deck.

It's untelling how many back decks I cut up back in the 90's when I was in the stereo bidness.

That and cutting out huge chunks of foam from the seat back to less the bass in. :D

That being said, if you're going to have a box in the back I recommend running a midbass with a tweeter on a plate.   That will work and sound better when done right.  I've never been a fan of egg shaped speakers when they can be avoided.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08 2017, 02:33:50 PM »
I thought Nasty Wendy was the audio car installer?  Didn't know you did that too, Earl.

I have 6x9 subs and 2 8" subs in a box.  I have a set of tweeters in the back deck.  Mids in the door and tweeters in the dash.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 08 2017, 04:56:47 PM »
just replace that unused rear seat with a box and good speakers and amps
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08 2017, 05:09:56 PM »
I thought Nasty Wendy was the audio car installer?  Didn't know you did that too, Earl.

I have 6x9 subs and 2 8" subs in a box.  I have a set of tweeters in the back deck.  Mids in the door and tweeters in the dash.

Nasty Wendy's black. They all think they can hook up stereo and ride motorcycles. :D

/racialstereotyping     :D

Yeah, I ended up a professional installer right out of HS when I was 18.  Ended up in the Guinnis book a couple times. Doing something fun for a living really takes the fun out of it!  It was a way to finance all the motorcycles I destroyed (and buy a bunch of beers).

Back in the early/mid 90's there was a lot of g bodys, S10s, and 3rd gens running around.  I hacked 'em all up.

The worse was when Eazy E said something about a 6 fo Impala. Suddenly every 70's 8ga clunker got dragged out of the junkyard. My forearms are still sore from cuttiong out back decks by hand. On the upside there's something magical about 2 15's on the back deck of a car!  lol  :)

Sell the box and get 4 10's if you're a rock 'n roller or 2 12's if you're all about that bass with oversampled ghetto mrusic.  :)   All of it can fit on the short part of the trunk and you can amp it to the X braces to put up with the G's.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline xpander343

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08 2017, 06:09:00 PM »
I starting thinking like that Steve I might as well just sell the whole car and buy a nice stereo and tv for the garage instead.

I'm gonna cut some slots and see how that goes, whats the worst that can happen? 
87 Regal Limited

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08 2017, 06:45:59 PM »
Earl, the speakers in the car are Infinity from the early 90's.  The pro series, the tweeters are emits and the magnet's on the 8" subs are way bigger than 15" kickers.  Can't remember off hand but I thought they were 40 oz.  The subs and mids are driven by sound stream amps and the tweeters by 2 sony amps.  All this going through a sony crossover.  Not the loudest but it is very clear.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09 2017, 01:50:08 AM »
I know those old school infinitys. They are bad ass.

...for what they are.

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09 2017, 09:46:37 AM »
 I had a tour of the GM truck plant many years ago. What struck me was that the empty cab chassis came down the line and the FIRST thing they did was install the speaker in the dash, then proceeded to build the truck around it.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09 2017, 12:45:20 PM »
I know those old school infinitys. They are bad ass.

...for what they are.

Hey, what's that mean?  They are power hogs!  Almost reminds me of my Kappa 9's where you can drop the bottom end to 1/2 ohm and blow 90% of the power amps on the market.  I had Alpine before and was not impressed, speakers or amps.  I remember being in an Audio store that sold Alpine and told them how I had Soundstream and prefer it.  The Alpine rep came in the store and he asked him what he preferred.  I'm thinking to myself, "Yeah, that won't be a biased answer!"  The rep said, Soundstream.  The look on the salesman's face was priceless.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal