Author Topic: Pulled over by DOT Friday  (Read 4055 times)

Offline chris sworik

• PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Pulled over by DOT Friday
« on: June 19 2016, 07:42:39 PM »
Well, this was a first for me. Touring in the GN in Oshawa and I see a marked DOT car coming towards me. Next thing he pulls a u turn and is beside me lights on and everything. Pull it over up ahead. OK, I heard this before from others. He gets up to the window and says they are doing an emission compliance check as many of these cars have been modified by removing emission systems. Hmmm  No SES light on so this is a good thing  but this still doesn't sound good. Drivers license and pop the hood. I give them the ownership as well and they say, "we already have all that on the computer". Well, hood is opened and they are surprised by the stock look. They were more impressed by the working AC.
They seemed to be zoning in on the charcoal canister and the passenger side of engine. I think they were looking for either an alky kit or a bigger downpipe/turbo combination. Of course a visual cat check was also done.  These guys knew this car well. One of the guys noted the passenger valve cover breather installed behind the turbo but the other inspector shrugged it off as small potatoes. Within a minute everything was over and I was on my way.
My question is, are  alky kits  deemed a circumvent of an emission system in Ontario? I would think a bigger turbo and downpipe may also cause questions? Anybody know any info on this subject? I was going to ask but it was over just as fast as it started. Chris.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Pulled over by DOT Friday
« Reply #1 on: June 19 2016, 09:01:32 PM »
Exactly why I don't bring my car to the Durham area...ever.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19 2016, 10:26:20 PM »
What have you guys done in Oshawa to p*ss them off so badly?
 :O
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20 2016, 07:54:00 AM »
Wow!  That is a pretty detailed roadside inspection.  MTO must be paying their staff to surf internet forums to check for typical mods and emissions bypasses.  Definitely the reason why I am keeping all of the emissions components on our cars.  There really isn't a good reason to discard them.  Heck, just having them in place and inoperable is better than ditching them all together.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20 2016, 11:32:57 AM »
I think it is unlawful search and just to pull you over and start searching with no cause is grounds for a law suite. I had one that wanted to look in my trunk once. I told em get a warrant, I've got all day. They weren't happy but didn't push it. 
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline gusszgs

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Limited quick brick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20 2016, 05:45:10 PM »
Was this a green and gold MTO officer or MOE? This shit pisses me off.......chin a's building coal fire plants faster than we put up a Timmy's and the ministry wants to hassel guys who drive a summer car 2 mths of the year. My fuk'n 2 stroke Lawn boy probably emits more over the course of a summer.
But it's US that will have to pay the price right David suzuki
Jim
1987 T Limited

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20 2016, 06:17:51 PM »
I've dealt with the MOE twice...and was fined twice. Each emission infraction on the vehicle is 350 bucks. For example, if you have a breather in each rocker cover...that's 700 bucks. It's nothing more than a tax grab by the gov't. Same goes for Clean Air testing once every two years. The Liberals were suppose to scrap it this year cuz 95 percent of vehicles are passing...so it's redundant. Now they're saying next year. They don't wanna let go of it...cuz it's a cash cow. If you get nailed by the MOE...do this. Go directly to the JP...and tell him/her that the car is your daily driver and your only form of transportation ...and you need it to get back and forth to work and can't afford the fine...or money it'll require to meet their guidelines.. If they ask you about the emission infraction...t ell them you bought it like that. They'll lower it to 20 to 50 bucks. Been there...done that.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline gusszgs

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Limited quick brick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21 2016, 08:23:04 AM »
Maybe if the gov't didn't piss away billions in fumbled gas plant thiascos they leave this shyte alone.
Jim
1987 T Limited

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal