Author Topic: Track results with my Limited  (Read 49151 times)

Offline gusszgs

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 1
  • Limited quick brick
    • View Profile
Track results with my Limited
« on: October 13 2015, 07:45:11 PM »
Hey guys, made it down to TMP for a test & tune yesterday. Haven't been to the track since 09-10. Wanted to find out how this transmission I built would hold up. Happy to report the trans shifted beautiful with no issues what so ever. Almost looks like I know what I'm doing.  :icon_lol:

Anyway on to the results. I got 5 passes in and was somewhat disappointed at the start. 1st pass I only ran a 13.39 @ 101. 60 ft was a brutal 2.06 This was with the TT chip set on default. 18 psi alky set at 6 MT DR's at 27 psi. Could not hold boost and pushed through the beam, so I'm sure I lost some et there.

2nd pass I made no changes, but lowered the Mickeys down to 22psi. Still only 0-1 psi at line and went slower. 13.43 @104 with a 2.21 60 ft  :rolleyes;  Not sure where the better mph came from.

3rd pass was about the same . Little better 13.21 @105 crap 2.13 60 ft again.

4th pass I decided to forget about building boost at the line.....brake s just won't hold. Went into chip and pulled 10% fuel from 1st gear and added 2* timing in 3rd. Results were better as the car ran 12.7 @109 2.07 60 ft.

5th pass I figured I'd get a little more aggressive with the boost, so I turned it up to 22-23 psi and added some more timing 27/26* and pulled another 5% fuel from 1st (thought that may help the 60). Side note I got 0 kr on all runs which was nice
This pass I ran 12.38 @ 113 with a still crap 2.05 60ft. When the car left I could feel it unload the hides about 30-40 ft out

At that point I called it a day as it was getting late. I did see Rich (Bird) down there down there, man his car is something!

So here is my combo:
Motor is completely stock except for the addition of Comp 980 valve springs.
Turbo is a TE60, Precision .63 Ex housing. RJC 3" DP.
TT "ALKY" chip with 60 lb injectors. Mark Jackson stock stretch IC. LT-1 MAF/Translator

Suspension is all factory stock with an air bag in the right. 255/60 Mickey ET Streets

Trans is fresh 2004r with Husek 9.5 3021 LU

I think if I can can get the 60ft down to something respectable I can break into the 11's. I was going to try the 'ol jam the e-brake on at the line but chickened out. Was kinda disappointed I couldn't build more boost at the line with this new converter but really can't get it to hold past 1psi.

Any thoughts on these times? Oh, also the car is full weight Ltd.......prob ably close to 4000 lbs with me jammed in it

Jim
[size=78%] [/size]
Jim
1987 T Limited

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Track results with my Limited
« Reply #1 on: October 13 2015, 08:16:16 PM »
Jim...if you go out again this year let me know. I'll bring my PL and laptop and dial the whore in. :rock:

What were the high gear 02's at the traps?

You're MPH is increasing turning up the wick...so you're making more HP and not 'blowing through' the convertor.

That's an S2 under the hood of Rich's car.

« Last Edit: October 13 2015, 08:21:55 PM by Scoobum »
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13 2015, 08:44:27 PM »
That is awesome. Any outing that you can drive the car home from is a successful outing to me.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline gusszgs

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Limited quick brick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13 2015, 08:44:40 PM »
Thanks Brad
I was talking to Rich for a bit, very nice guy. Watched one of his passes. car went 10.40's 15 psi pump gas  :O

To be honest Brad I didn't look at the O2'S every pass, but did a recall on the last pass and it locked a 789 at 105 mph
I really need some more seat time and runs. Used to old NA muscle cars like my GS. There's so much shit to monitor and seems I forget one or two things each run. The bonus was no KR on any of the runs.

Also forgot to mention I did jam the e-brake on in the pits and it held 7-8 psi. I just turned into a suck at the line.
Jim
1987 T Limited

Offline gusszgs

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Limited quick brick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13 2015, 08:49:15 PM »
That is awesome. Any outing that you can drive the car home from is a successful outing to me.

Rich I trailered it down  :)  Track is 100 miles from house and wasn't sure about the new trans
Jim
1987 T Limited

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13 2015, 08:54:57 PM »
I thought you didn't have a trailer. That's ok, it didn't break so it is still a very successful outing. A couple more trips like that and you'll be hitting 11s more often than not.
Rich

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
Line lock is pretty much mandatory with these little engines...they make lots of torque. Keeping the rear brakes cool is where it's at. Erics low gear fueling is notoriously rich. With the full 20 percent pulled on mine they were still at 820. That reminds me. I should send that race chip back to Eric for a reburn for low/high gear fueling...whil e my GN is in for paint.

That 60 turbo...turns into Godzilla at 25 plus PSI.

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13 2015, 10:19:31 PM »
I don't recall I'd you told us what brakes your running.  Double bump for the line lock to keep the rear brakes cool during burn out.  I had my best 60 foot with the ET streets at 15 psi cold. They would heat up during the run and be sitting at 17 psi after the run. I took rich's advise and did some burn outs at the house to check the patch to get the pressure just right for a solid patch on both tires. Glad the tranny is holding up!  Good luck!
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13 2015, 10:30:21 PM »
Aluminum rear drums...all long pads...S-10 wheel cylinders...br aided brake lines...Powers lot rotors with HPS pads...line lock.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13 2015, 10:30:56 PM »
The weather can make a difference in what pressure you need to run in the tires. A solid patch is a good indicator. But the 60' number is what gets you down the track.
I am disappointed that the car could only hold a 1psi launch. I know a good 60' would have it in the 11s.

Have you taken your car to the track Jason? I know it is wanting to but with the cooler weather it should really lay down a good number.
Rich

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13 2015, 10:37:33 PM »
Aluminum rear drums...all long pads...S-10 wheel cylinders...br aided brake lines...Powers lot rotors with HPS pads...line lock.
I would think he could hold a lot more boost with that rear brake setup...
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13 2015, 10:43:12 PM »
The 16930 in my car will 'flash' to 4 grand with that setup without breaking a sweat.

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13 2015, 10:50:08 PM »
Have you taken your car to the track Jason? I know it is wanting to but with the cooler weather it should really lay down a good number.

Nope.  Last time I was at the track was at the Texas Nats.  Been picking up odds and ends that I'm going to need for when the barn motor is completed. Also need to get the barn tranny over to Jakes.  Theses days my kids activities and home projects have the priority and will be that way for a few more years. 

The fella that bought my old white t, took it down to Houston at royal purple raceway and blew a head gasket or both, I don't know.  He did bust off a 7.1something in the 1/8th before he blew it. Also, he had a cage installed so he added some weight and the 6262 are the only changes from when I sold it to him. His wife called me asking if I would repair while he was at drill sergeant school, I politely declined
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13 2015, 11:12:19 PM »
We put bigger turbos on these cars to make HP. If you're going to leave them at 22 PSI...don't expect much to happen. The 60 series turbos wake up at 25 PSI on up.

Tuning is easy. Keep the high gear 02's at 780 with each jump in boost pressure. Add fuel/alky as necessary. Low gear 02's I set at 780 at the 1-2 and 2-3 shift points...and add a couple degrees of low gear timing. Remember...tur bos love heat. Lean low gear fuel out...and add a little low gear timing...and watch what happens.

Offline gusszgs

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Limited quick brick
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14 2015, 09:43:40 AM »
Thanks guys,
The brake set-up is stock fresh rotors/pads on front. flex hoses are Russell braided (all 3)
Drums are cast with soft shoes adjusted tight with S-10 wheel cylinders. System bled properly. Yes I do have line lock.
Jim
1987 T Limited

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal