Author Topic: PL file  (Read 2014 times)

Offline TurboCajun

• Keith Theriot
  • Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 1
  • 6 Packed
    • View Profile
PL file
« on: May 12 2016, 08:26:36 PM »
I finally got the PL working again , this is at idle after car is warm. O2s stay really low , do yall see anything that I am not
85 GN -- Converted to 87 set-up using 66/72 turbo, front mount I/C, 80lb injectors,gn1 heads 14 bolt 1.65 roller rockers stud mount, ported intake with plate, fuel hot wire, 3" dp, running 24psi., alky kit, stroker 20 over, 212/206 roller,  best time 10.995 @ 121 1.56 60ft

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: PL file
« Reply #1 on: May 12 2016, 09:18:40 PM »
BLM's are 142 at idle.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 13 2016, 10:28:10 AM »
Keith, always be sure the car is up to operating temp...or above 160....before you try troubleshootin g.  Did not matter in this case as it should have been on the rich side when first cranked but the O2 sensor will not cycle right until it gets hot. :)

Okay, it's doing exactly what you have been describing to me.  The car is either sucking air from some place, or the fuel supply is restricted.

You said you welded up an exhaust leak and it got a little better, but, from the looks of it, that was not the basic problem altho I would certainly look at it for any possible leaks but I think the magnitude of this problem goes beyond a leaky header.

I would like to assume that whatever you are reading for fuel pressure is correct, but, if it were my car, I would not make that assumption :)  I would either try another gauge, or, I  would add about 10 psi of fuel pressure above whatever it set on now and see if the O2s come up and the blms go down.

I would also check to be sure that when I pulled the hose off the fuel pressure regulator that the fuel pressure increases the usual 6 psi or so and then drops back down when the hose is reconnected.

I would check all the hoses between the maf and the throttlebody to make sure they are all tight and that one is not on all the way so that air is leaking past the joint.

I would pull the hose off the pcv and any check valves that you might have added to the line and plug the hose so the pcv has been completely eliminated.

You might also check the intercooler for leaks in case it got holed.  Rig a way to pressurize it and see if air comes out.

Then, I would pull both rocker shafts and pressurize the plenum to see if it will hold air/seep down slowly or incurs an immediate pressure drop indicating a leaky intake gasket.  You can buy a short piece of pvc and put a cap on one end-then drill a hole in it and stick a tire air valve in it so you can put air into it to about 25 psi and see if it will hold it or drop slowly instead of losing it all immediately.  Drill a hole in the cap or beside the valve and put a pressure gauge in it so you can watch the pressure.  Besides a leaky intake gasket, it could be leaking around the plenum gasket, vacuum block gasket, etc.  This seems to be a big leak to me, tho.

Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline TurboCajun

• Keith Theriot
  • Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 1
  • 6 Packed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15 2016, 02:21:07 PM »
Fuel pressure is the same on 2 gauges, I did a smoke test from the maf to the TB and no leaks, did a leak test on the outer intake and dog house with carb cleaner and nothing, pinched off every vac line one at a time and nothing except the PCV, when I blocked it off the idle got really rough, I have been avoiding pulling all these rockers off but I guess that is the last resort, I am hearing a tapping noise near the #2 , with a shop vac hose to my ear, I dont hear it on the valve cover but when I move down in the front of the valve cover at #2 I start to hear the ticking sound right when i get to where the valve cover meets the head, I went and make a log at cruise and a WOT hit and car seams to be doing good other than the blms and o2s at idle, but at cruise in third gear and Over drive i feels like a miss in the engine.
85 GN -- Converted to 87 set-up using 66/72 turbo, front mount I/C, 80lb injectors,gn1 heads 14 bolt 1.65 roller rockers stud mount, ported intake with plate, fuel hot wire, 3" dp, running 24psi., alky kit, stroker 20 over, 212/206 roller,  best time 10.995 @ 121 1.56 60ft

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 15 2016, 03:11:05 PM »
a smoke test is not the same as pressurizing the plenum as I described....t he leak is often on the inside of the valley...if there is one

As you said it blew some oil when you revved the engine, i was trying to think of a reason that the crankcase would have pressure in it...bad pcv or leaking intake are the two reasons I can think of...unless the boost is going past the rings.

A lean cylinder from a leaking gasket can cause a miss.  What't that plug look like?  Seems like I remember they all looked alike but one that had some oil on it, it appeared.  Don't that was number two, tho.

A noise toward the bottom of the head could be a leak?
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal