Author Topic: Turbo Tech  (Read 58828 times)

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Turbo Tech
« Reply #90 on: July 10 2018, 05:31:26 PM »
Reeds run with the 6765 was 11.17 at 20 PSI. You and I talked on the phone a long time ago about throwing different turbos on a stock stroke 109 with ported irons...as that's what 95 percent of what most are running. Can you provide any other data?

Temp/humidity
60 foot time
Brand of heads...any extra work to them?
E85, race gas, alky or pump gas?
Brand of torque convertor? LU or NL...tho I suspect NL.
Brand of intercooler

P.S. Reeds car seems like a perfect test mule for trying different bolt ons.

Yes, we did.

I will try to get some more info out of him. FWIW they probably went to a track near Pelham, Alabama, so you can use that as an altitude reference.

He ran champion ported irons. E85 fuel. Turbotweak chip. PTC 9.5" non lock up, and I dont know what IC.

I would be all for sponsoring someone who would be willing to test these turbos on their car and provide info. I could give them these turbos for dealer cost with the stipulation that they test them at the track and report back.

Reeds car is a great test bed because his car is like the majority of Buick owner's.

Thanks so much Tyler. Hope the business is doing well!
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 10 2018, 05:38:09 PM »
You might not be getting the sarcasm. But if it is the break time we can discuss more. I fully understand triple digit temps, wrenching and posting (smilie here) and enjoy all your responses. Not sure id enjoy them as much if you spend more time on them as there would be much more time in between. I am glad you came over here and are posting. Much more fun than watching paint dry( that is a little poke at guszgs) .

Keep up the good work and as I like to say, keep moving forward. And don't let that turbo Ta poster over on the big board get to ya. After the name calling I don't really think he deserves your help.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 10 2018, 05:38:26 PM »
Reeds run with the 6765 was 11.17 at 20 PSI. You and I talked on the phone a long time ago about throwing different turbos on a stock stroke 109 with ported irons...as that's what 95 percent of what most are running. Can you provide any other data?

Temp/humidity
60 foot time
Brand of heads...any extra work to them?
E85, race gas, alky or pump gas?
Brand of torque convertor? LU or NL...tho I suspect NL.
Brand of intercooler

P.S. Reeds car seems like a perfect test mule for trying different bolt ons.

Yes, we did.

I will try to get some more info out of him. FWIW they probably went to a track near Pelham, Alabama, so you can use that as an altitude reference.

He ran champion ported irons. E85 fuel. Turbotweak chip. PTC 9.5" non lock up, and I dont know what IC.

I would be all for sponsoring someone who would be willing to test these turbos on their car and provide info. I could give them these turbos for dealer cost with the stipulation that they test them at the track and report back.

Reeds car is a great test bed because his car is like the majority of Buick owner's.

Thanks so much Tyler. Hope the business is doing well!

ANYtime Brad!!!

If I can get more info from Reed, I will post it.

I am hoping this G4 promotion will help get these turbos out into the Buick community and into hands of people that will really see just how incredible of a product these really are!

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 10 2018, 05:40:13 PM »
Was my article explaining billet wheel technology not a good enough way to spend my time? Or the 3 hours I have spent on the phone today with customers regarding the G4 turbos?

I mean no offense, Sir, but I am literally writing these responses while laying on my front seat in between changing the spark plugs in my truck...techni cally I have no shirt on so my pasty white ass can get a tan in this 103 degree heat...but all the same, these responses are being written during breaks between cylinders... no more time is being spent on them than is required to type them.

I assure you, if I were one who wastes time on trying to write the perfect response, I would never get shit done because it would be perpetually under revision....lu ckily that is not me.

But to answer you- NO. I take no more time posting responses than it is required for my fingers to type them.

Your thoughts sure seemed to me to take a lot of time. Just seemed like you could better direct em towards a cam selection or setting up the bottom end of that cool guy engine. But it is your time and I'm not one to try to tell others what to do. I tried to insert a smilie to at least look like I'm being sarcastic. Oh well. Maybe you ponder stuff at a different rate than an old guy like me, so it doesn't take you much time. Or the fancy education schooled you to think quicker, I've read that John Kennedy was a speed reader and read several newspapers in the morning while having breakfast.

You keep writing articles...and I'll keep reading them. Keep 'em dumbed down as much as you can.

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 10 2018, 06:05:16 PM »
I am pretty  sure most, if not all of us are finding this mentally invigorating. I don't claim to speak for TexasT but I know my brain needs a little longer theses days to both formulate clever insights and absorb knowledge, if you guys can formulate these solutions on the fly we will try to stay out of the way and enjoy.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 10 2018, 06:36:54 PM »
I love solutions. Especially when they work.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline gusszgs

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Limited quick brick
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 10 2018, 07:14:24 PM »
I just sprayed my cadmium plated brake booster black cause I was told it looked silly and wasn't cool  :O gots to get my shyte together

Just watching it dry now  :icon_eyes: :D
Jim
1987 T Limited

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 10 2018, 07:51:45 PM »
(I think we found Motorhead Mike's lost_at_birth twin)

Heh...

Lots of words to say: Cool guy parts. ;)

And Brad, your signature has been deemed to be too long.  So many stock parts listed... :D

I'm a vendors nightmare.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #98 on: July 10 2018, 08:09:00 PM »
I just like to understand how things work and what the differences are between things like various turbos so I have enjoyed the thread.  I still read a book almost everyday...Kin dle is the greatest gift ever.  Most of the time, I don't read much heavyweight stuff, tho.  I can inhale a sci-fi book without having to think too much.

I go back to the days of big vacuum tube radios with long wave, broadcast, and short wave bands on the dial-not to mention cats whisker crystal sets.  I remember taking a vibrator from a car radio and hooking it up to an audio transformer powered by a six volt battery in a cigar box with a couple of contacts on the lid.  I gave it to the guy at the corner hardware store and it almost knocked him down.  He laughed, we laughed and I went home and told my Dad.  He did not laugh.  Seems like the guy had a heart attack and I might have killed him.  Got my butt beat for that.  I learned not to tell my Dad about funny things.
« Last Edit: July 10 2018, 08:17:20 PM by Steve Wood »
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 10 2018, 09:11:09 PM »
I love solutions. Especially when they work.

'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 10 2018, 09:59:46 PM »
Tyler, Reeds car comes in at 3807. Is that with him in it...or out? My car comes in at 3475...with me in it. Every 100 hundred pounds is worth a tenth of a second. I run my car at 23 PSI with the high and low 02's coming in at 800 and the timing at 32/26 with VP 112 with the 60 foot coming in at 1.70 and staging last and the car runs 7 flat all day at 100. You can do the math what that turbo would do in my car at 23 PSI...and 300-400 pounds lighter.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • PSI: 0
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 11 2018, 09:38:33 AM »
Great thread

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 11 2018, 10:56:07 AM »
I think we should start on exducers and exhaust housings now and how that influences the power band and converter stall speed and efficiency.

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 11 2018, 11:23:09 AM »
Nobody has even mentioned vgt's or twin scroll technology.

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 11 2018, 11:25:21 AM »
Nobody has even mentioned vgt's or twin scroll technology.
Actually, you did!  Twin scrolls are amazing, that is my next turbo.  I just don't want to redo the piping.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal