Author Topic: for those that don't go on the other board....  (Read 5843 times)

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
for those that don't go on the other board....
« on: March 30 2016, 05:13:47 PM »
I finally got everything sorted out with logistics and pricing with my piston manufacturers.

What I've done is create a better Buick Street/Strip piston that's every been available.  After going through heroics to make my 4.1 have 8.99:1 just to find out what total shit hpyers are, I ended up creating something cool.

6 pistons with locks and JE pins are $550.   (they can be sold in any number if you want a 7th for the shelf, or burn just one and need a replacement).

[​IMG
These are lightweight box forgings that have been machined to work in virtually ANY Buick V6 build. With a 22CC inverted dome it's possible to achieve decent compression with any bore size from 3.801" all the way up to the biggest 4.1 build.  My piston engineer ended up having experience with Buick V6 NECKCAR and Kenny Duttweilers drag stuf back when he was head enginer with JE. Needless to say I let him setup the exact shape of the inverted dome's walls.  He and I were on the same page as far as capturing the flame kernel for maximum efficiency and minimizing the amount of ignition advance as much as possible.  I'm pretty happy with how these came out.
There's a few people already running them for a while now and It's what I have in my GN as well.

The really cool thing about these is how easy they are to modify. I can change the bore, ring pack and compression height with no change in price. The pins can be set up floating or press fit so they'll work with stock or aftermarket rods.  For guys running BBC rods or SBC rods, I can put those pins in with a slight bump in price and make it a 'bolt it' job.
That also works good for guys that are just now building virgin engines.  Rather than pay to bore it out, I can make them 2 or 5 over then all it takes is a hone job and a set of file fit rings.  Plus I can move the piston up the bore instead of decking the block and making it thinner.  The savings on the bore and deck job will pretty much pay for the pistons.

These things are truly what the Buick community needed many many years ago. I wish they'd been available before I decked the hell out of my block, Then had to machine my intake...    TWICE!     These would have saved me a lot of trouble when I learned the hard way that 4.1 decks (and older 3.8's) are taller than 109 3.8s.I finally got everything sorted out with logistics and pricing with my piston manufacturers.
What I've done is create a better Buick Street/Strip piston that's every been available.  After going through heroics to make my 4.1 have 8.99:1 just to find out what total shit hpyers are, I ended up creating something cool.
6 pistons with locks and JE pins are $550.   (they can be sold in any number if you want a 7th for the shelf, or burn just one and need a replacement).

These are lightweight box forgings that have been machined to work in virtually ANY Buick V6 build. With a 22CC inverted dome it's possible to achieve decent compression with any bore size from 3.801" all the way up to the biggest 4.1 build.  My piston engineer ended up having experience with Buick V6 NECKCAR and Kenny Duttweilers drag stuf back when he was head enginer with JE. Needless to say I let him setup the exact shape of the inverted dome's walls.  He and I were on the same page as far as capturing the flame kernel for maximum efficiency and minimizing the amount of ignition advance as much as possible.  I'm pretty happy with how these came out.
There's a few people already running them for a while now and It's what I have in my GN as well.

The really cool thing about these is how easy they are to modify. I can change the bore, ring pack and compression height with no change in price. The pins can be set up floating or press fit so they'll work with stock or aftermarket rods.  For guys running BBC rods or SBC rods, I can put those pins in with a slight bump in price and make it a 'bolt it' job.
That also works good for guys that are just now building virgin engines.  Rather than pay to bore it out, I can make them 2 or 5 over then all it takes is a hone job and a set of file fit rings.  Plus I can move the piston up the bore instead of decking the block and making it thinner.  The savings on the bore and deck job will pretty much pay for the pistons.

These things are truly what the Buick community needed many many years ago. I wish they'd been available before I decked the hell out of my block, Then had to machine my intake...    TWICE!     These would have saved me a lot of trouble when I learned the hard way that 4.1 decks (and older 3.8's) are taller than 109 3.8s.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
Re: for those that don't go on the other board....
« Reply #1 on: March 30 2016, 05:36:09 PM »
Will they be available in like a .038 over 455 size(4.350 + .038)? I want the ability to adjust the height so I don't have to take much if any off my 455 block. I will be getting some for the 4.1build but since the 3.8 seems to be going good I've moved over to the v8.
« Last Edit: March 30 2016, 05:44:26 PM by TexasT »
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30 2016, 10:32:49 PM »
Very nice Earl!  You went AWOL while I was doing my build or I would've worked with you for some Pistons. I ended up with a custom set of CP's with a static CR of 9.28.  Completely thankful and grateful you took the time for this endeavor.  The buick community appreciates you!
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Online motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30 2016, 10:56:49 PM »
Beefy!
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31 2016, 12:33:55 AM »
Will they be available in like a .038 over 455 size(4.350 + .038)? I want the ability to adjust the height so I don't have to take much if any off my 455 block. I will be getting some for the 4.1build but since the 3.8 seems to be going good I've moved over to the v8.

My range is 2.500" to 5.500" before the price gets increased.   I think you're covered  :)

I'm not near my catalogs, do you know if the 455 uses .940" pins?
« Last Edit: March 31 2016, 12:38:41 AM by earlbrown »
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31 2016, 01:00:42 AM »
I'm using a BBC 6.8 or 7.1 inch rod so we will need a .990 pin. Gonna get the crank offset ground to 2.20 and shoot for 470 inches. Just have to see how much the shop needs to take to square up the deck. Then ill know what height ill need with the rod length I choose.

Thanks for the hard work.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31 2016, 11:01:22 AM »
What about valve reliefs Earl? How much clearance do they have now?
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31 2016, 01:25:01 PM »
It's Good to see something Positive came out of the Negative situations you went thru.
I hope you sell a bunch of them!  :cheers:
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31 2016, 02:45:15 PM »

Isn't that a weak link?  They always break around that area.

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31 2016, 03:28:05 PM »

Isn't that a weak link?  They always break around that area.
I want a lift over .500 and I want to make sure I don't kiss a piston. :icon_fU:
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31 2016, 04:28:00 PM »
I'm using a BBC 6.8 or 7.1 inch rod so we will need a .990 pin. Gonna get the crank offset ground to 2.20 and shoot for 470 inches. Just have to see how much the shop needs to take to square up the deck. Then ill know what height ill need with the rod length I choose.

Thanks for the hard work.

That's where these pistons really shine.  When you go to square deck your block, measure all for corners and note the shortest one. (buicks tend to be within a couple thou..    my BBC boat engine, not so much! :) )  Deck that side first and stop just when the last corner starts to get clean and you go past the last water port.  Then make the other side match that.   Doing it that way instead of stopping at an arbitrary number will leave the most meat on the deck and take less time machining.   Take a measurement and and I'll just move the piston up instead of moving the deck down (and having to risk machining the intake)

That's the way I did my boat engine.  I square decked it until I was left with just one dirty corner.  Then I honed the worst cylinder until it came clean at .009" over.  After that I got a set of slugs that would put me .020" in the hose at 9 over.   Never even had to touch the boring bar :)
« Last Edit: March 31 2016, 04:35:28 PM by earlbrown »

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31 2016, 04:31:24 PM »

You don't need no stinkin' valve reliefs!! The weaken the piston, screw with the frame front travel speed, and grow carbon!  :)

That's one of the reasons I went with a 22cc inverted dome.  You don't have to smack the head to make decent compression.   You should be fine with .500" lift. I'm running more than that on my 4.2. 

That doesn't mean you don't measure though!

Plug your numbers into a static and dynamic compression calc and see how close you have to get to the head to get the desired DCR.

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31 2016, 05:58:42 PM »

You don't need no stinkin' valve reliefs!! The weaken the piston, screw with the frame front travel speed, and grow carbon!  :)

You tell him, Earl!! :rock:

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31 2016, 09:26:38 PM »
You should be fine with .500" lift. I'm running more than that on my 4.2. 
What's the lift you're running Earl?

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01 2016, 02:06:47 AM »
It's late and I've been playing the game of drink....

my cam is a 215/220 roller, I lowered my rocker shafts supports .045", and set my pushrods up as close to mid-lift geometry with the wrong geometry rockers as possible..      I want to say they're .521 lift on the exhaust, but you can't see what's laying next to me in bed right not instead of my notes......

If it matters, she was born after

....well, a LOT of stuff  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal