Author Topic: Troubleshooting the AC  (Read 11997 times)

Offline gordyzx9r

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 0
  • The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
Re: Troubleshooting the AC
« Reply #15 on: February 07 2015, 03:27:18 PM »
Well, it was just about empty apparently.

Had it recharged and everything works again and blows cold.  I guess almost 2-3 years of having the motor ripped out multiple times it lost it's charge somehow?  Hopefully it's not leaking. 

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #16 on: February 09 2015, 10:19:26 AM »
the clutch seals will usually leak after sitting for awhile.  Many will turn the ac on once a month during the winter for a few minutes to try to avoid this.  I would have it checked for leaks altho they should have pulled a vacuum on the system before charging it and let it sit to see if it held it. They may have just put freon in it, tho.  If it is leaking slowly, it may be cheaper to put one or two cans in it every year than pay a fortune to have it fixed....:D
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline 278CIKILLER

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09 2015, 12:20:38 PM »
I have a good used AC compressor out of a 87 GN if you need one.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09 2015, 02:04:51 PM »
They may have just put freon in it, tho.  If it is leaking slowly, it may be cheaper to put one or two cans in it every year than pay a fortune to have it fixed....:D

I agree with Steve. When I got my 04 Denali the air wasn't that cold. Freon was down but they couldn't find the leak?
So I topped it up & all was fine until a year later & it wasn't cold enuf again. Added a can of the Leak Sealer with a can of Freon & it's been good for 5 years now. I figure the leak was somewhere in the roof since the 2nd lines go to all the back seat vents & that would have been a major PITA or lot's of $$ to pay a shop!
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline gordyzx9r

• PSI: 0
  • The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11 2015, 11:28:11 AM »
the clutch seals will usually leak after sitting for awhile.  Many will turn the ac on once a month during the winter for a few minutes to try to avoid this.  I would have it checked for leaks altho they should have pulled a vacuum on the system before charging it and let it sit to see if it held it. They may have just put freon in it, tho.  If it is leaking slowly, it may be cheaper to put one or two cans in it every year than pay a fortune to have it fixed.... :D

Yeah, they leaked checked it.  I watched them do it and they talked me through what they were doing.  I primarily did that just because as soon as the shop foreman pulled the car into the bay all 10 of their techs came running over, whipped out their cameras and started taking pics.  I kinda felt bad for their other customers because the mechanics stopped working on the other cars and just kept drooling over the GN the entire time it was there.

And I got some of the usual TR cliches like "my brother had one, but put in a 400 to make it fast", "why don't you take out that six and put a 400 in it...".  I was kinda surprised they said 400...and not 350.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal