Tech Area > General Auto Tech

Bertha - 08 GMC Yukon XL Denali

(1/6) > >>

nocooler:
So this is owned by a good friend of mine. It's had a low oil pressure at idle for quite some time and then started making some interesting noises. We both thought it had got a lifter and his normal mechanic shop said they'd change the engine for $6500 but other than that they wouldn't touch it.
The tear down went smooth - broke one exhaust manifold bolt off in the head and a manifold stud.

nocooler:
Although I was surprised that everything looked good - until I found this.
The 6.2 has VVT but not DoD/AFM so it uses this style tensioner - and it broke. Luckily he only put 20 miles on it like this. The low oil pressure problem was due to a stuck oil pressure relief valve in the oil pan.

nocooler:
Basically - I'm re-gasketing/sealing the engine. New oil pump, lifters, valve spring/seals, VVT cam phaser, timing chain, tensioner, and plugging the bypass in the oil pan.
Since I had it tore so far apart I decided to split the engine/trans and replace the rear main seal and the rear cover gasket just to make sure everything is fresh.
It's back together waiting for a valve spring tool to show up since the ls1 and ls3 style heads use different spacing for the rocker stands/valves.

Steve Wood:
I had forgotten about this one.

It is amazing how frequently these things arise these days and one has to wonder if the shop was just smart enuf to know they did not know what they were doing, or if they just took the easy way out because they figured it was easier to replace the engine and make some serious money without perspiration.

He was lucky he knew you and it is getting fixed as well as being done correctly to head off future potential problems.  That is the second time in the last 15 years, that I have seen a stuck open bypass valve.

It's a lot of work to do some of this stuff but I find it way more satisfying to have figured it out.

good job! :cheers:

Just a Six?:
That's a big job & they're hard to work on with the truck so high up but looking good! More than I would want to tackle myself. Your buddy will have a great truck again.  :cheers:

I got my 04 off a long lease & now has just under 200k miles almost all hiway so it runs good but lots of salt abuse means lots of rust too. I did repairs around the wheels this summer & then sprayed a few rattle cans of assorted black & I ended up using the Rust Check Gloss Black & gave it a little buff. Looks decent enough for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version