Author Topic: Bumper question  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Shimy87

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Bumper question
« on: May 18 2012, 05:37:08 PM »
While I have them off i was considering cutting the middle section out of the structural part of the bumpers, leaving the mounting sections at each end. Before the safety nuts freak out I get it this is probably not a great idea in that regard. My question is how much if any will this affect the structure of the car frame. I figure it would eliminate about 30 lbs per end.

Thanks!!
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Bumper question
« Reply #1 on: May 18 2012, 05:50:23 PM »
safety?  probably not a big concern....it will pretty much guarantee that any minor wreck will take out the front end to a far greater degree.  And, a savvy insurance adjuster will deny your claim because you defeated the intent of the bumper....

Personally, if I wanted to reduce the weight, I would either look for a bumper with the aluminum insert, or I would take a hole saw and put numerous perforations thru the steel piece to remove weight that way.

Given that 30# might not even gain .03sec in a stock car, I would probably say screw it and pull the carpets and put a few chunks of Fat Mat, or similar around the floorpan, maybe in the doors, under the headliner, etc., to make the system sound better and kill resonance.

Doubt it will affect the frame rigidity very much
« Last Edit: May 18 2012, 06:04:16 PM by Steve Wood »
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Bumper question
« Reply #2 on: May 18 2012, 06:34:54 PM »
I did that years ago before I painted my car and was shocked at how much weight it knocked off the car.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal