Author Topic: Block Tester Kit results  (Read 10065 times)

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Block Tester Kit results
« Reply #15 on: April 07 2021, 05:04:20 PM »
Thanks Steve the family that owned the properties were all the same age as my family & treated me very well but after the dad passed they gave us a years notice that they were selling. It's the #1 Hottest area of Toronto so they did very very well. Now some big corporation owns it & making lots of changes so I don't know how long I'll stay here but I have the space & the time so I'll probably do an overhaul before I head up north to the family property. Seems like the logical thing to do at this point so I'm crossing my fingers I can pull this off one more time.   :chin:
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07 2021, 09:56:17 PM »
Sorry to hear David - were you able to keep your "special" locations in the building?
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08 2021, 09:40:10 AM »
Dave I still have the hidden room in the back of the lockers for the car stuff & some work items & one large locker. I still have a cabinet inside the car wash mechanical room but they have to open it for me because no more master key. Over about 5 weeks I've gone thru everything to sort & label & dumped a pile of stuff in the trash. Come summer I'm going to start deciding what's being sold off to thin down all the stuff I used once & now collects dust. I'll have some good deals down the road.
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15 2021, 05:23:20 PM »
My plan to R&R the heads in the car wasn't worth all the added aggravation & time wasted today (plus sore back) so I'm removing the motor only. This time I'm removing the front bumper & grill so that's mostly done. Engine mounts & trans bolts are all that's left to do so my buddy Ray will give me a hand on Sunday. I usually pull the trans with the motor but not this time so any tips on that? Not worried about it coming out but getting them back together on install has me thinking about it more than I should be. I'll snap some pics once the heads are off but so far the inside of the engine looks pretty good.
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #19 on: April 15 2021, 09:08:30 PM »
You have more experience than any of us. Just do it lol
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16 2021, 11:33:45 AM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence!  :)
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16 2021, 11:43:04 AM »
it should not be to hard to align the engine with the transmission with two people working.  You will have to move the engine around a bit to line up the locating dowels but that's more tedious than hard.
Steve Wood

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28 2021, 03:48:06 PM »
As you said Steve it was Nocooler Jeremy that's correct  :cheers:
Engine is on the stand & heads are off it was pretty obvious that #1 cylinder was flowing through the fire ring & going a couple inches to the water jacket. On the plus side that piston & valves are cleaner than the rest which were Very Carboned up from running rich the past few years so brake cleaner, emery cloth & rags with lots of elbow grease & the pistons are pretty clean. I broke down & used a soft brass wheel & the drill for the heads. The only oil leak which I always thought was the valve cover was actually a few inches of intake seal were blown out. I used the rubber pads with Right Stuff on all sides & the corners so not sure how that blew out? The rest so far is all pretty decent so next is the oil pan & see how the rear main looks. I'm thinking I'll pull the front cover & paint it & take a peek at the roller cam? I don't know it's not leaking now so maybe just leave well enuf alone? The valve cover extensions put on with Right Stuff have become part of the block now Man those things are on really good!

Question I have stock worked heads with the large valves & I thought people didn't use Valve Stem Seals with the larger valves but I have them on mine & I would have bet they weren't used but the machinist installed them & he's done many of our motors & all but one of mine over the years. I can't say 100% they weren't used in the past but I "assumed" they weren't used?  :chin:
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28 2021, 03:56:29 PM »
we always use valve stem seals on the intake valves.  Not much need on the exhaust because they don't suck oil down around the stem into the combustion chamber and the heat on the valve stems burns them up anyway

Spray alky and that should keep the carbon from building up
Steve Wood

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28 2021, 05:28:41 PM »
Wow glad I didn't bet on that with anyone!  :icon_eyes:
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28 2021, 06:06:50 PM »
I don't see any need to mess with the front cover if it is not leaking...why mess with luck?
Steve Wood

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28 2021, 07:54:03 PM »
Check the deck of the block and head - maybe replace the valve springs, put it back together, and send it!
IhaveaV8

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29 2021, 05:05:51 PM »
I was looking over the heads & block with a straight edge & feeling pretty good then Surprise Surprise I dropped the oil pan & the baffle was sitting in the bottom of the pan? I assume a spot weld let loose & the #6 rod cap nut hit it along with #5 & it was done. Good news is the nut barely shows evidence they hit (very evident on the bent baffle) so I'm going to drop by Chris body shop in the am & see if he has a spare pan or can weld the baffle back in along with seeing what he has for bumper filler connections. I knew it was going too smoothly to last!  :068:

Edit It wasn't on the bottom of the pan it was just sitting on top of the oil while hanging onto the tube from what I can tell?
« Last Edit: April 29 2021, 05:29:20 PM by Just a Six? »
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07 2021, 10:49:05 AM »
Question about the rod bearings? I pulled off one cap on each rod to inspect & they look worn but not bad overall except #1 is dark like the oil got hot & burned looking on both sides of the bearing. I was able to wipe some of it off with a rag but the darkened look is still there. Also on #6 that made contact the baffle the inside has 4-5 light scratch marks & it looks a bit worn but nothing really bad overall. 

These are Clevite .010 from 2010 & I have some King .010 I got from GBody back then for this engine but the machine shop said he only uses Clevite so these are sitting here collecting dust.
So I have to ask, can I use these King to do a swap or is that just a really bad idea?
I have a feeling I know the answer but I had to ask the question?  :chin:

I took off one main cap & it looks almost new so I'm happy about that but a quick question?
Do I put a light smear of Black RTV or Right Stuff on the mating surfaces? There's something on there now that's turned hard & needs to be scraped off with a razor blade so I'm thinking it's a light smear of silicone or a similar product. Thanks  :) 
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07 2021, 11:21:39 AM »
Time to bust out the camera. Usually, if the big end is black it's not good, I'd check the clearance on that journal. 
King bearings are just fine imo. 
IhaveaV8

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal