Author Topic: Powermaster issues  (Read 14761 times)

Offline IL KIM

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
Powermaster issues
« on: August 25 2020, 03:50:16 PM »
Hello. Trying to get 2 remaining issues resolved so I can enjoy driving my 85 GN again and looking for advise. One issue is the brakes. I searched through the Powermaster topics and don’t really want to go to vacuum brakes, but to get the PM system working.

Issue I am having is intermittentLy the PM motor will not turn on leaving the inboard reservoir full and hard brakes with brake light. I went through the PM Diagnostics from GNTYPE.org and ended up on step 2 where it took 13 seconds of motor running till brake light went off, I bought and replaced the accumulator ball as recommended. This did not solve my intermittent issue. The diag chart basically says if the ball didn’t work the get a now PM.

When the issue happened, I tried disconnecting the main harness connector and jiggling with no luck. I also tried jiggling the pressure switch connector and the motor did not turn on. However tapping the motor with an 8mm wrench made the motor turn on and suck the fluid down. Any advise out there before I buy a remanufactured one from Kirbans or from GBody where I got the accumulator ball?

I don’t know if I can take the black box apart to look at electrical connectors on the motor housing.
Thank you. 
85 GN w/86 motor, TRW pistons, Weber 206 billet roller cam, o/sized valves, 130psi springs, KB roller rockers, 3400 West Coast conv, adj w/gate, FPR, KB ram air, ported, KB headers, G-Body DP, Walbro 340M/hotwire, 60lb Hi Z, CPT66bb, LS1 MAF, TT chip, Hofer Trans, Stevemon TB, PTE SLIC, RJC powerpla

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Powermaster issues
« Reply #1 on: August 25 2020, 08:41:13 PM »
No help from me.  I'm strictly a vacuum brake kinda guy
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline ULYCYC

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26 2020, 07:45:22 AM »
Could be the motor and or pressure switch, most likely switch.  I don't have a clue whats available these days and sure prices are crazy. At this point in time I would do a conversion to vacuum or hydro-boost. 
ED BAKER
87-T, Maplight equipped rear view mirror..
01 Park Ave Ultra S\'charged
BPG#1458

Offline IL KIM

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26 2020, 03:03:03 PM »
Hey, another Avatar I recognize from the past.  Thanks for your input Steve and Ed.  I thought it might be the pressure switch but when I had the issue and I jiggled the connector and tried removing/reinserting, the motor still did not start up.  Per diagnostics flow chart, if you disconnect the pressure switch and the light comes on, the system should be good.  Intermittent electrical issues are the worst. 

Is the vacuum or hydro-boost better (pros and cons) for reliability and function?  I read the vacuum conversions may have issues with turbo cars running roller cams/rockers or more pedal apply is needed?  Have not read up on what a hydro-boost system is. 

85 GN w/86 motor, TRW pistons, Weber 206 billet roller cam, o/sized valves, 130psi springs, KB roller rockers, 3400 West Coast conv, adj w/gate, FPR, KB ram air, ported, KB headers, G-Body DP, Walbro 340M/hotwire, 60lb Hi Z, CPT66bb, LS1 MAF, TT chip, Hofer Trans, Stevemon TB, PTE SLIC, RJC powerpla

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26 2020, 03:08:50 PM »
vacuum is only a problem if you have a big cam duration wise.  My roller cam is 210 degs durartion and the brakes work very well.

The earlier hot air cars had a hydroboost system.  People love them but I don't.  If you lose hydraulic pressure, you lose both the brakes and the steering at the same time.
Steve Wood

Offline ULYCYC

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26 2020, 03:32:11 PM »
I found over the years not to trust diagnostic flow charts for powermasters, coils and maf sensors.  Having a known good one on hand works best to prove your find.  I agree with Steve and prefer vacuum brake setup.
ED BAKER
87-T, Maplight equipped rear view mirror..
01 Park Ave Ultra S\'charged
BPG#1458

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26 2020, 05:03:38 PM »
I've got a 215/220 roller and my vacuum kit works just fine.

the booster has a check valve that stores maximum vacuum it sees.  I don't care what cam or engine you have, any time you do a throttle chop, the manifold vacuum goes through the roof.  That's how the booster gets charged.

As far as actual powermaster advice goes....    the only tidbit I release is ''toss it''.

Even if you fix it, it's going to break again.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Shimy87

• PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26 2020, 05:19:05 PM »
another vote for vacume system, PM is a headache and potential disaster 
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27 2020, 08:45:54 PM »
Vacuum for the win. Replace the 3 flex hoses with SS lines from Russel. Flex hoses...well.. .they flex.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline IL KIM

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31 2020, 07:38:23 PM »
Thanks guys. Who is “Russell” please? The hydroboost system looked pretty straight forward but if there with no backup when a hose or steering pump goes, then potential disaster.

I’ll start looking into vacuum system now with all the input above before giving up on the Powermaster system that worked for me for 35 years. It would cost me $750 to get it rebuilt with little labor on my end.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
Steve Wood

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01 2020, 01:43:15 PM »
I just mailed out a set of Russel SS brake lines from my eBay store. Was that you Kim?
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline IL KIM

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05 2020, 11:18:13 PM »
Sorry for delayed response.  Been a little busy with moving kids into college. Hopefully won’t be moving them back home anytime soon.

Thanks Steve. I’ll look again or call Russell’s but did not see RWD Regals or our years on the link.
Earlbrown; no that was not me but what is your eBay seller name?  I can peruse your store!

Thanks all.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06 2020, 08:49:27 AM »
Believe I bought mine from Earl
Steve Wood

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07 2020, 12:00:25 AM »
Earlbrown; no that was not me but what is your eBay seller name?  I can peruse your store!

It's earlbrown.  :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162432664157

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal