Author Topic: Save my alternator! (Ford parts)  (Read 2600 times)

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/lynch455/science
Save my alternator! (Ford parts)
« on: January 12 2009, 05:48:08 PM »
OK, so I'm having issues with the alternator of my Grandfather's 71 Ford LTD. I got the alternator over a year ago, and it's had about 5 hours of time on it at the most. And rather than spend another $175 (out of warranty) on it, I'd rather gut it and see if I can fix it myself.

When I took it in to be tested, it wouldn't put out a reading. So the guy took the test lead off the insulated Stator bolt on the back, and the connected it to the Ground on the back and it put out 14.something volts, no problems.

So I'm figuring that instead of blowing a diode, the damn thing is wired 180 degrees off. Sound like I'm right before I go in there with a solder gun?

Below is a picture and the numbers I got off it, on the diode tests I had the meter on ->+ and I'd get a reading, then switch the multimeter leads. On the Ohms test I did the same thing.

Now the real question is, should I just leave it as is and hook the voltage regulator lead up to the Ground instead of the Stator connection and save some grief? :dunno:
My 1958 Mamiya can beat up whatever camera you just wasted your money on.

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Save my alternator! (Ford parts)
« Reply #1 on: January 13 2009, 06:43:50 AM »
Back in the day, we used to see a high failure rate with the voltage regulators.
I remember seeing some that looked the same that were wired different for different applications. To add confusion to this, they'd plug in as well.
Did the alternator work for the 5 hours, or did it never work ?
Rob

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/lynch455/science
Save my alternator! (Ford parts)
« Reply #2 on: January 13 2009, 03:25:16 PM »
Never really worked. The one I got before failed too, exchanged it for this one. Ever since I replaced the original the ALT light has been on. I'm not getting shit for juice right now off the big red BAT terminal. The regulator is new, and the wiring seems to be tight. What kind of voltages should I be getting to the regulator wires?
My 1958 Mamiya can beat up whatever camera you just wasted your money on.

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Save my alternator! (Ford parts)
« Reply #3 on: January 15 2009, 06:15:14 AM »
I'll look into it when I get a chance. My boss is on vacation this week, so I have to do both of our jobs...
Rob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal